søndag 23. mars 2014

23032014 - Georges Brassens "Chante Les Chansons Poétiques No1"

Originally released in 1952, this album showcases a selection of songs by this French iconic singer/songwriter and poet. His songs have influenced generations of singers from his home country, but Brassens' lyrics have also been translated into several different languages by various artists such as Cornelis Vreesvijk. This is exactly what you would expect a French artist from this period to sound like, and I'm sure this was all extremely cutting edge at the time, but I must admit that I have not found a new favourite artist here. I'm sure I am missing some of the big picture by not understanding the lyrics and by not putting this in the context of the era when these chansons were written, but I feel great music should be timeless, and j'accuse Monsieur Brassens of not withstanding le test of time.


Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar